The impact of flexible work hours on employee performance: a case study of AB InBev.
MetadataShow full item record
As organizations move into the global markets to become more competitive, sustainable and profitable, the downside is the struggle in maintaining a suitable work-life balance, which can impact employee performance. Improving and sustaining employee performance has become a growing concern and challenge for organizations across the world. To overcome such concerns and challenges, organizations cannot simply focus on employee performance, but rather the factors that strengthen employee relations through a suitable working hours and a favorable work environment. These factors positively contribute to the performance, bottom-line and degree of innovation at the organization. Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) organizations, who operate around the clock, see low points of employee performance, job satisfaction, and with high points of absenteeism. Flexible work hours can lead to increased levels of employee performance, which creates a dual benefit for both the employee and the organization. This study aimed to establish how flexible work hours can improve employee performance at Anheuser Busch InBev (AB InBev). A census consisting of 62 management-level employees was used from the FMCG organization, AB InBev, based in Durban. The research approach was quantitative in nature and was undertaken utilizing online questionnaires that were distributed via Microsoft Forms. Statistical package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) was used to examine the data, upon which the statistical analysis revealed several significant relationships through applicable descriptive and inferential analysis. Of the 62 management-level employees, 60.7% of the participants were male, whilst the remaining 39.3% were female. Statistical results indicated a correlation between working hours (standard and flexible) and employee performance that were statistically significant (Flx.r.766>Std.r.290). The study offered insight into factors that affected employee performance during working hours, which indicated that flexible work hours significantly improve employee performance, whilst remuneration was revealed as not being a key factor when flexible working hours were an option. These insights provided the organization with useful information to create effective solutions, provide a conducive working environment, and therefore enhance performance of employees at AB InBev. The study concludes by offering alternative methods to improve and maximize the performance of employees at the organization through the development of practical recommendations. It is recommended that organizations focus on improving the work-life balance of their employees through the offering of flexible work hours, and increasing their employee engagement and performance.